I love both! Well, I’m in love with lots of noodle dishes. That’s how Asian I am. Give me any kind of pancit and I’ll be happy as a child! This Lo Mein recipe is different from the other Filipino noodles that I cook, though. It’s with a sweet, sticky sauce; and, it uses ginger. It’s a nice variant to the palate when it comes to noodle dishes.
Here’s how we cook Lo Mein at home.
-Chicken breast, 250 g, cut in small strips
-Ginger, 1 nub, chopped
-Garlic, 4-6 cloves, chopped
-Onions, 1 whole, chopped
-Carrots, cut in strips
-Snap peas or green beans, cut in strips
-Cabbage, 200g, shredded
-Shiitake mushroom, cut thinly (optional but desired)
-Fish balls, 5-7 pieces, cut in quarters (optional but desired)
-Shrimps, 200 g, cut in halves
-Chicken broth, ¼ cup*
-Soy sauce, 1 tbsp
-Sesame oil, 2 tbsp
-Cornstarch, 1 tsp
-Cooking oil, 2 tbsp
-Salt and pepper, to taste
*I always have chicken broth ready to be used at home. Remember the chicken tips we used in cooking Wicked Wings? Well, we got loads of them so it's easy to make our own broth. You don't have to make one, though; especially for just a 1/4 cup. One chicken cube is a good alternative for this recipe. Easy!
1. Marinate the chicken breast with salt and pepper (at least 1 tsp each) and 1 tbsp of sesame oil. Set aside.
2. Mix the soy sauce, remaining sesame oil, cornstarch and chicken broth in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Wash the noodles with running water. Drain and set aside.
4. Put oil in a heated pan.
5. Fry the chicken until slightly brown. Set aside for later.
6. Using the same pan, sauté the garlic until golden brown.
7. Add in the onions. Stir until it sweats.
8. Add in the ginger. Stir until it releases its aroma.
9. Add in the carrots, beans and lastly, the cabbage. Be careful not to overcook the veggies.
10. When the carrots turn into a more vibrant color, put in the pre-cooked chicken and the noodles.
11. Toss the noodles for 3-5 minutes.
12. Add in the sauce prepared in Step 2.
13. Stir well until it becomes sticky.
14. Season with salt and pepper.
15. Turn off the heat and do not cover.
16. Serve while hot with a cold beverage.
Yumm!! Remember me when you cook!