We have tons of cooked rice sitting in the cooker right now. It pains me to eat them plain as they are when there are so many ways to improve it. I’m thinking of making a tasty dish from it. And it looks like the ingredients I need are not far from reach. I have bacon just lying in the fridge. I’ve got eggs, garlic and some frozen veggies just itching to be cooked.
-Eggs, 1 whole
-Frozen peas, corns and carrots (or any vegetable, fresh or frozen, you have at home)
-Garlic, 3-4 cloves, chopped
-Salt, ½-1 tsp
-Cooking oil, 1 tbsp
-Salt and pepper, to season
1. Wet the rice with a few drops of water from the tap.
2. Season this with salt.
3. Gently mash the rice with your hands just to mix the salt and water together. Set aside.
4. Put oil on a heated pan.
5. Put in the bacon bits.
6. Stir well under medium heat.
7. When the bacon starts to crisp, put in the garlic. Continue stirring.
8. When the garlic turns golden, add in the egg.
9. Continue stirring until the egg is beaten together with the bacon and garlic.
10. Add in the frozen veggies or the vegetable of your choice (e.g. fresh broccoli, spinach, carrots, young corn… the list goes on.)
11. When the veggies are cooked, add in the rice.
Make sure the heat is on medium to high. The idea is to dry up the water you sprinkled earlier and for the rice not to stick to each other.
12. Season the dish with salt and pepper.
13. Serve with the viand of your choice. (Beef Pares goes very well with fried rice, by the way.)