Enough of the chit-chat! Here’s my latest version of bicol express.
-Pork shoulders, 1kg, cut into small cubes
-Garlic, 5-7 cloves, crushed and chopped
-Onions, 2 whole, chopped
-Ginger, 1 nub, crushed and chopped
-Long green chili, 10 pcs
-Coconut milk, 400ml
-Spicy shrimp paste, 1 ½ tbsp
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-Bird’s eye chili, 5 pcs or Chili flakes (alternative)
-Cooking oil, 2-3 tbsp
1. Put oil in a heated pan.
2. Saute the garlic under medium to high heat.
3. When the garlic turns golden, add the onions.
4. When the onions sweat, add the ginger. Stir well for 5-7 minutes.
5. Put in the pork.
6. Fry the pork for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
7. When the pork turns a bit charred and has released its fats, season with shrimp paste.
8. Stir well.
9. Lower the heat to low.
10. Add in the coconut milk.
11. Close the lid and let it boil for 30 minutes.
12. Stir occasionally to prevent burning the bottom of the pan.
13. Add the long green chili.
14. After 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
15. Add chili flakes for more heat only when desired.
16. Serve with hot rice.