Pressed for time to make dinner? I have just the thing. My chili and garlic chicken in soy bean oil saves me a lot of time in the kitchen. It’s a very quick meal;you can do this chicken recipe in just 15-20 minutes. Dinner would be set in no time!
This is my own version of chili chicken. To add additional kick, I mixed the chili paste in soy bean oil with the chili and garlic paste, which is normally used in Malaysian and Indonesian cuisine (mostly as a dipping sauce). Most of the ingredients of this simple chicken recipe is in its name –chili, garlic and (chili paste) soy bean oil. Chili paste in soy bean oil (Nam Prik Pao) is the core ingredient of many Thai dishes such as pad thai (stir fried noodles), tom yum (sweet and sour soup) and the Thai version of fried rice (Kao Pat Prik Pao) . Obviously, this chili and garlic chicken recipe is Thai-inspired. Hubby and I love Thai food, having spent several years in Thailand. How happy were we to find out that the Asian market in our place carries a good range of Thai products. Yay!!
When we are just feeling lazy or tired of getting take-out food, we usually cook this chicken dish. And that’s mainly because I’m all up for a quick and tasty cook.
Here’s how you do it.
Ingredients in cooking chili and garlic chicken in soy bean oil:
- Chicken breast, cut thinly or in strips
- Garlic, 6-8 cloves, chopped
- Onions, 1 whole, chopped
- Cracked or powdered pepper
- Fish sauce
- Sugar, ½ tsp
- Dried chili
- Cooking oil
- Chili garlic sauce, 1tsp
- Chili paste in soy bean, 1 tsp
- Water, ½ cup
I put 1/2 a head of garlic for this recipe, 1 tbsp of fish sauce and about 1 tsp of the dried chili. You can adjust these according to your preference by the end of your cook. Start with a little portion of each ingredient and adjust while simmering to avoid having a too salty or too spicy dish.
1. Put the cooking oil in a heated pan.
2. Put in the garlic. Saute until it turns golden.
3. Add in the onions. Stir until they turn soft and sweaty.
4. Put in the chicken.
5. Put in some fish sauce to give the chicken more flavour.
6. Stir well at medium heat.
7. Put in the chili garlic and chili paste in soy bean oil.
8. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
9. Add in the water.
10. Put in the rest of the fish sauce.
11. Season with pepper and sugar. Add in the dried chili, too.
12. Serve hot with rice.
That’s it. Simple. Fast. And very tasty.
We enjoy this chicken dish with blanched broccoli or asparagus. It’s too savoury for me without the veggies; but that’s just me. I hope you got some idea of what to cook for dinner tonight or at least what to do with your chicken breast. :)
Remember me when you cook.