Let's cook another pork mechado dish. This time, let's make it simpler.
I have shared with you a Pork Mechado recipe in my earlier posts. However, I'd like to share with you another pork mechado recipe with fewer ingredients. This is cooking mechado when you have very limited food ingredients in the fridge. Also, in the earlier post I used UFC's Mechado Sauce. For this post, I'm trying out Del Monte's take on Mechado. Which do you think is better? Well, I'll share my views in a little while.
You may find mechado recipes that require marinating the meats in soy sauce and lime or calamansi juice. That's up to you. My hubby, however is not fond of the tangy flavor; so I'm not advocating that. Also, mechado is said to be a beef dish. I'm not a fan, either; because beef needs a longer time to cook. If you're the type who's looking for quick and easy dinner recipes, this post is definitely for you.
Ingredients in cooking pork mechado (with basic ingredients)
- pork loin, cut
- potatoes, cubes
- onions, cut
- garlic, crushed and chopped
- bell pepper (optional)
- tomato sauce or mechado sauce
- soy sauce, if using tomato sauce
- fish sauce
- powdered pepper
- cooking oil
Steps in cooking easy pork mechado:
1. Saute' the garlic in hot oil.
2. Add the pork. Mix well.
3. Season the dish with fish sauce and pepper.
4. Add the onions.
5. Let it simmer under low heat.
6. When the onions soften, add the water.
7. Add the potatoes and bell pepper, if you have them.
8. Let the dish come to boil under low-medium heat.
9. Add the tomato sauce or mechado sauce.
Season the dish with soy sauce, if you're using tomato sauce.10. Let the sauce mix well with the pork ingredients.
11. Let it boil.
12. Adjust the taste with fish sauce and pepper.
13. Serve with hot.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 10-40 minutes
- Pork loin
- Green/Red bell peppers (optional)
- Tomato sauce or "mechado" sauce
- Fish sauce
- Soy sauce
- Cooking oil
- Hot water
- Saute' the garlic in a pan.
- Cook the pork with the garlic.
- Season the pork with fish sauce and pepper. (Can be done after or while frying the pork)
- Add the onions.
- Season the dish with fish sauce and pepper.
- Let it simmer.
- Add the potatoes.
- Let the dish simmer under low heat.
- Add the tomato sauce or mechado sauce.
- Let the dish simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce, soy sauce and pepper.
- Serve while hot.
Explore! Experiment! Make new recipes. Make mistakes, if you have to. You'll be a better cook, I promise!
About the Author: Beingwell loves simple home cooking recipes. She enjoys sharing her quick easy meals, including Filipino cooking recipes in this blog.