Thank goodness to this new discovery that I have a new healthy recipe in cooking munggo (mung beans). Did you know that you can add spinach and ginger in this munggo dish? Brilliant!
Ingredients in cooking munggo with ginger:
- garlic, crushed and chopped
- ginger, crushed and chopped
- onions, chopped
- tomatoes, chopped not diced
- mung beans, boiled to softness
- shrimps or pork, cut into small sizes
- fish sauce
- black pepper
- long green chili (siling haba)
Steps in cooking munggo with ginger:
1. Boil the mung beans to softness for 30-45 minutes under medium-high heat.
2. Set the cooked beans aside without draining. We'll use this broth for our soup.
3. Put oil unto a hot deep pan.
4. Saute' the garlic until golden brown.
5. Saute' the ginger with the garlic.
6. Add in the shrimps or pork into the pan. Stir well.
7. Season the dish with fish sauce and a bit of pepper.
8. When the proteins are cooked, add the onions. Stir well
9. When the onions soften, add the tomatoes. Stir well.
Crush the tomatoes while stirring. It will add a stronger flavor into the dish.
10. Cover the pan. Lower the heat; and allow the dish to simmer.
11. Slowly the add mung beans and its broth into the dish.
12. Let it boil so the flavors come together.
13. Once it boils, adjust the taste to your preference. Add ginger or fish sauce as desired. I usually add some more ginger at this point to give the soup a strong kick.
14. Let the dish boil once more after seasoning.
15. Add the spinach.
16. Let the dish simmer until the spinach cooks.
17. Make the final adjustments at this point.
It also helps to add a pinch of salt. It usually brings out the flavors of the dish.
18. Turn off the heat and put the long green chili on top.
19. Do not stir.
20. Cover the pan and remove it from the stove.
You'll smell the aroma of chili and ginger coming out of your pot when you finally open it during serving time! Ahh, heavenly! This dish is perfect with steamed rice and fried fish.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Fat per serving: Low fat
- Mung beans (munggo)
- Shrimps or pork
- Fish sauce
- Long green chili
- Boil the mung beans to softness.
- Set aside.
- Saute' garlic in a hot pan with oil.
- Add the ginger when the garlic turns golden.
- Add the shrimps or pork.
- Season the dish with fish sauce and pepper.
- Add the onions when the proteins cook.
- Add the tomatoes, next.
- Add the mung beans together with its sauce.
- Allow to boil.
- Add the spinach.
- Season the dish once more with fish sauce and pepper.
- Allow to simmer.
- Serve while hot.