In some countries like Thailand, bean sprouts are eaten raw with noodles and salads. I have no problem with raw bean sprouts since they are both crunchy and tasty.
Cooking bean sprouts with beans, however is yet a good way to enjoy vegetables. This recipe is power-packed with protein and minerals. It's good for growing kids and us adults, who are watching their figure as well as over-all health.
Ingredients in cooking bean sprouts with beans:
- bean sprouts (togue), thoroughly washed
- yardlong beans (sitaw), cut at desired lengths
- garlic, crushed
- onions, julienne-d
- red bell peppers, julienne-d
- ground pork
- cooking oil
- ground pepper
- fish sauce
- oyster sauce
- hot water
Let's begin cooking bean spouts with beans.
1. Put cooking oil in a very hot pan.
2. Saute' the garlic.
3. When garlic turns golden, add the ground pork.
4. Stir well until the pork release its juices.
These juice are actually saturated fats. Too much of these fats may cause heart-related conditions. (Pork fats make the dish more tasty, I know.) You can opt to scoop and throw away half of these fats to at least reduce saturated fats from pork. (Your call!)
5. When the pork is cooked, season with some fish sauce.
6. Put in the yardlong beans (or sitaw in Tagalog). Mix well.
6. When the beans turn to a more vibrant green, add in the bean sprouts (or togue). Mix well.
7. Add hot water to mix the dish well.
8. Add the onions. Mix well.
9. Add the red bell peppers. Mix well.
10. Season the dish with oyster sauce, fish sauce and pepper.
11. Turn the stove to med-high.
12. Cover the pan to allow the dish to boil quickly.
13. Once it boils, it's ready to serve.
14. You may still adjust the taste according to your preference at this point; while it is hot.
15. Remove the dish from the pan or put the pan in a cool surface without the lid.
16. Serve with anything fried and a hot steamy rice.
For those who love spicy foods, you may put chili into this dish. Chili are great energy-boosters too; and is good for weight loss. It's a win-win. It's always a win-win when you're cooking like a pro with me!
Remember me when you cook!!