I really love pasta! When we're scheduled for a run, my husband and I carbo-load with rich servings of semolina pasta. Of course, I cook the dressing or the pasta sauce to do away with artificial flavors and seasonings.
In this post I'd like to share with you my pasta sauce recipe. You don't have to open a can of tomato sauce or a pack of tomato paste for this one. It's all natural! Here's how.
Ingredients in cooking pasta with fresh basil:
- chicken breast, cut in strips
- generous amounts of fresh holy basil, de-stemmed, thoroughly washed and chopped
If you're buying from the grocer's, make sure you don't grab the sweet basil. Holy basil is the one without the tangy aroma of lemongrass. The two look alike, so make sure you get the right kind of basil.
- cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- generous amounts of garlic, crushed
- olive oil, (extra virgin, is preferred)
- powdered basil
- fish sauce
- dried paprika
- powdered chili
- hot water
Let's start cooking pasta with fresh basil.
1. Cook the pasta. Here's how to cook pasta like a pro. I promise you, you'll have a flavored pasta even without the sauce yet.
2. Set aside until later.
3. Put a generous amount of olive oil in a hot pan.
Olive oils are healthy fats so don't worry about your heart. It's actually good for you.4. Saute' a portion of garlic into the pan.
5. Cook the chicken when the garlic turns golden.
6. When cooked, set aside the chicken for later.
7. Season the chicken with fish sauce and pepper as it sits.
8. Using the same pan, saute' the rest of the garlic with the dried paprika.
If you want a less spicy dish, add the paprika in the latter steps.
9. Put in the tomatoes. Stir well until they release their juice.
10. Cover the pan for about 5 minutes while under medium heat.
11. When the tomatoes are soft and juicy, add the flavored chicken.
12. Add the fresh basil.
At this point, you can put the paprika in if you hadn't yet in step 8.
13. Lower the heat to low-med.
14. Add some hot water. The pasta will absorb these liquids when you put it in later.
15. Season the mixture with powdered basil, chili and fish sauce.
16. Increase heat to med-high to bring the mixture to a boil.
17. Once it boils, put the heat back to low.
18. Add in the pasta.
19. Mix well to evenly distribute the sauce.
20. Serve while hot.
Cooking pasta with fresh basil is inspired by the fusion of Italian and Asian cuisine here in Bangkok. It's a refreshing way to do your pasta.
Remember me when you cook!