Today, I'm cooking amaranth leaves with shrimps. To those who are not familiar with amaranth leaves, they look very much like the spinach.
Amaranth leaves are good for kids because this vegetable is highly nutritious. It contains loads of proteins, irons, potassium and zinc. It is low on calories, with no cholesterol content; so if you're watching your figure, amaranth should work for you, too.
Cooking amaranth leaves with shrimps is an easy recipe. It's a stir-fry dish that requires basic ingredients. Here is what you need:
Ingredients in cooking amaranth leaves with shrimps:
- amaranth leaves, de-stemmed and thoroughly washed
- shrimps, de-veined and cut in halves
- garlic, crushed
- tomatoes, cut
- yardlong beans, cut in desirable sizes
- powdered pepper
- fish sauce
- oyster sauce
- cooking oil
- hot water
- chili, cut or diced (optional)
Let's start cooking amaranth leaves with shrimps.
1. Pour cooking oil in a hot pan.
2. Saute' the garlic until golden.
3. Add in the tomatoes.
4. Put in the yardlong beans. Stir until the color of the beans change to a vibrant green.
5. Add in the shrimps.
6. Add in the amaranth leaves. Stir well. Wait for them to lose dry texture.
7. Add some hot water so the leaves can be mixed easily with the dish.
8. Season with fish sauce, a bit of oyster sauce and pepper.
9. Stir well until cooked.
If you want a spicy dish, add the chili at this point. However, if you want a spicier dish, add them with the garlic in Step 2 above.10. Remove from pan until serving time.
The vegetables and shrimps cook very easily under heat. Leaving them in the pan may over-cook your dish. If you have to leave the dish on the pan, place the pan on a cool surface and do not cover.
11. Serve with hot rice.
This amaranth dish is very easy to do. You can replace the shrimps with chicken or pork, depending on your preference.
Remember me when you cook!!