I enjoy cooking steamed fish because it requires very minimal preparation. It only takes a steamer, the fish and the basic spices you have in your kitchen. For this dish, I'm using the grouper fish or what is known as "lapu lapu" in the Philippines. It's texture and flavor works well for steaming.
Ingredients in cooking steamed fish:
- lapu lapu or grouper
- Chinese celery (kinchay, kinstay)
- garlic, crushed
- onions, crushed
- ginger, crushed
- lemon or lime
You will also need aluminum foil and a steamer in cooking steamed fish.
Let's begin cooking steamed fish.
1. Cut the fish across its flesh a half an inch deep.
2. Rub the fish with salt.
3. Place the fish on the aluminum foil together with the garlic, onions, ginger, pepper and Chinese celery. Stuff the insides of the head of the fish with the same.
Quick tip: The Chinese celery will give the give a distinct aroma and taste as it steams.
4. Sprinkle lime or lemon juice on the fish.
5. Seal the fish.
6. Steam for 5-7 minutes under high heat.
7. Serve on a big plate without taking the fish off the foil. Let it swim on its fish soup.
8. Add lime or salt as necessary.
Quick tip: Fish sauce with lime is the best condiment for this dish. At least, that's what I think.
Remember me when you cook!