I enjoy making chicken salads since it's not very strict. When we have a basic components of a mayo-based salad, we can easily prepare our own chicken salad recipe. We can always add bacon, cheese and peas in making chicken salad; I don't consider them vital in making chicken salad a success.
My ingredients in making chicken salad:
- chicken breasts, shredded into strips
- macaroni pasta, elbow or penne (I used Le Penne Rigate of Agnesi)
- carrots, diced
- red onions, diced
- pickle relish
- Asian green celery (Kinchay in Tagalog), chopped
- sweet canned pineapple bits
- condensed milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook the pasta. I suggest you put a handful of salt in there so that pasta may acquire taste. When cooked, drain it. Do not rinse so the pasta may stick well with the other ingredients when we mix them together.
2. Cook the chicken with the water used from cooking the pasta. It is optional.
3. Shred the chicken and set aside.
4. In a deep mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients together - pasta, chicken, diced carrots and onions, pineapple bits, chopped celery, raisins and pickles.
5. Add in the condensed milk.
6. Add in the mayo.
7. Add dash of salt and pepper to taste.
8. Put chicken salad in a container with lid.
9. Put it the fridge to cool before serving.
Making chicken salad with bacon bits, ham and cheeses provides more flavors to your dish. These are optional ingredients which you may adapt. The fun would be in making chicken salad your own!
Here's a quick recipe for a fresh garden salad. Enjoy!
About the Author: Beingwell loves simple home cooking recipes. She enjoys sharing her quick easy meals, including Filipino cooking recipes in this blog.
Enjoy cooking like a pro!